Friday, September 11, 2009

The First Week of College

Aldana, Jennifer
September 5th, 2009
Prompt #1
The first week of College
As I walked through the campus of the school I knew that this won’t be as easy as many people say it is, but I had an open mind on everything. I knew that this would be a place where I can focus on my on going success. I wasn’t really terrified or scared when I entered the school, because I already knew some girls that have become my friends. I became very involved with school by joining ISAE, Summers Skills and the Campus Ministry Core Team. As I entered my first class on August 24th, 2009 at 9:10 in the morning, it caused me to become nervous, because I didn’t have all my materials that I needed for class. I was worried that the teacher would scream at me and tell me that I was very irresponsible. The first week of college for me was very frustrating mainly due to book issues.
I know that the hard work I did in high school has paid off, because I have my tuition paid without having to apply for loans. The only issue that has been worrying me is my books. Many people think that my family is extremely well off, but in reality we aren’t. Textbooks for nursing are not cheap, and I needed to find a way to help my family by not spending too much on textbooks. I know that if I bought all my materials from the bookstore, than I would have wasted approximately five hundred and eighteen dollars. There are handbooks that are small and big. Right now, the one that is more expensive is my biology textbook. So I decided to find a website where I can buy my handbooks for a lesser expense. Approximately I have wasted two hundred and forty eight dollars right now on textbooks, but I still need to buy my biology book. I found a website and ordered my books, but an obstacle was put in my path. My biology textbook hasn’t arrived yet, because supposedly my book got damaged while coming over here. The thing that frustrated me more is that it took them seventeen days to notify me. I know that I need that book ASAP, but I know that it would take a while if I reordered it online. I’m worried that my professor will become frustrated or annoyed by the third week of school for not having my biology materials. The solution for this problem is that I converse with my biology professor and tell her what is happening with my handbook. I can show them proof that I did order it, but it didn’t come, because it got damaged. The only way I can do my homework for this class is by going go to the library and use the book for two hours.
August 28th, 2009 was the end of my first week in college and it has taught me that college won’t be easy. I know that I need to study and believe in myself, because with that, success is guaranteed. I know that it won’t be the same as high school where the teachers would tell you what you need to do and tell you that you need to do your homework. Everything depends on yourself if you want to become successful in life. I know that I have the love and support of many, and that gives me great strength.

9 comments:

  1. your paper to me sounds scattered, i get lost some times during your papaer. And also i think you should change some words like won't,caused, words that make it hard to understand your paper. But over all your paper was good

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that making some kind of outline will help you organize your paper better. You have good ideas but they're scattered. Choose a brainstorming method to organize them better, but overall, I liked the way you expressed your feelings!=]

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Tamara and Jackie on your organization. What appealed to me the most in your writing though, was your honesty. It creates a strong tie between you, your writing, and your readers or audience.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like your paper it's very straight forward. I like the fact that you spoke your heart out. I also agree with Jackie, Tamara, and Nethanya with the organization. Your paper is very enjoyable to read though. Thank you for sharing it with us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like your paper because i can relate to some issues that you were going through. i agree with the previous comments of your organization being out of place. setain words were scattered which made some of your focus points a bit blurry.Overall i believe your paper was simple and striaght to the point.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have a very detailed and well put together paper.I enjoyed how you expressed you true feelings. The details were exact and helped me understand where you were coming from.I can relate to what you were talking about because i had the exact same problem. Thanks for sharing with me!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really enjoyed your paper. Your introduction really captured my attention and I can surely relate to your experiences.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really enjoyed reading your paper, I can relate so much with your experiences on the first week of school. Your details made your paper be more personal, and I liked that fact that you were still being enthusiastic and positive, even though there was some difficulties throughout your week.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I enjoyed reading your paper, I understand that the entire book situation is a nightmare. I too do not like asking my parents for money because it frustrates me to see them work so hard and worry about bills. Overall, your paper was good and had a nice flow as I was reading. Congratulations, on getting your school tuition paid .

    ReplyDelete